Must Know Info.
- Homework: Home on Mon., Sept. 19th & due no later than Friday, Sept. 23rd (electronic copy in case needed or in case you’d like to print it and do over weekend)
- 1st Field Trip is this Thursday to Valicor. Find info. and volunteer to attend HERE
- Digital Volunteers: We are close to reaching our goal of 20 volunteers. Thank you! Please email us and let us know if you would like to join the first round which will start approx. Oct. 1st and end at Winter Break. If you are signed up, we will have detailed info. to you soon!
- September Classroom Volunteering: Sign Up HERE
- Important Dates: Click HERE (We will leave this link here all year long)
Instruction and Learning
Please click HERE to view our blogs! Latest posts include stop animation videos of the water filtration process.
PBL: Water Filtration
Challenge: How can our team use these materials to build a water filter?
This cycle guides our water filtration learning experience. Students defined the problem, researched, created a solo plan, used their solo plan to create a shoulder partner plan, and on Monday will create a team plan and then build their filters and test them. Reflection time and a blog post to follow!
Using the Design Process/Cycle
Sharing independent design plans to create a plan with their shoulder partner.
Using new knowledge from research on how filters work, to design a plan.
ELA: Analyzing Quality Work
i.e. Capitals in title, main idea, specific details, complete sentences, correct use of capitalization and punctuation
Math: Word Problems
Understanding the importance of “key words” within number stories.
What do you notice? Helping our learners make connections to various strategies that can help understand and organize information within word problems.
Example of simple addition word problem with steps learners use to help solve it correctly. A solid understanding and habit of using these steps will help when word problems become two-step problems and include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division.
Click on the image to visit the author’s website!